By NANCY WOO, senior & JESSICA HO, junior
With the fall season in play, athletes have established their training schedules. Before they can break records and set winning streaks, they rely on the small things to reach their short-term goals. Hawkeye surveyed the girls and boys cross country teams on their daily regimen and personal expectations for the current season. From their favorite guilty pleasures to the thoughts that roam their minds during practice, here are the results of our survey.
1. How do you prefer to stay hydrated before and/or after a race?
- Water : 83%
- Gatorade/Powerade : 9%
- Coconut water : 4%
- Chocolate milk : 4%
- 2. What do you enjoy most in cross country?
2. Hanging with Coach Allen and Coach Martinez : 17%
- Winning a race : 15%
- Getting healthier : 25%
- Setting personal records : 57%
3. What is your favorite guilty pleasure?
- Chocolate : 26%
- Brownies : 35%
- Donuts : 20%
- Funnel cake : 19%
4. What would you like to see the most this season?
- Coach Martinez jog with the team : 57%
- The team go on a scavenger hunt : 12%
- Coach Allen take on the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge : 20%
- Good weather : 11%
5. What do you think about most when you run?
- Annoying song lyrics : 35%
- “Gotta pass this person” : 17%
- “I love hills” : 13%
- “Another mile?” : 35%
6. What is your favorite workout in cross country?
- Mile repeats : 7%
- Hill workouts : 19%
- Distance : 50%
- Cooldown : 24%
7. What team do you wish to defeat most this season?
- Old Bridge : 37%
- South Brunswick : 34%
- East Brunswick : 9%
- Edison : 20%
8. What is your greatest fear?
- Finishing last : 26%
- Another runner vomiting on you during a race : 4%
- Getting yelled at by Coach Allen : 59%
- Shin splints : 11%
9. What brand of athletic shoes do you prefer?
- Nike : 24%
- Asics : 33%
- Saucony : 35%
- Other : 8%
10. If you were to play another sport, what would it be?
- Soccer : 63%
- Basketball : 10%
- Swimming : 19%
- None : 8%